The Kansas City Freedom Schools Initiative is now on YouTube! Click on the link provided below.
If you would like to make a tax deductible donation, simply scroll over the "donate" tab to make your donation online.
"FREEDOM RIDERS 100" Support Freedom Schools in Kansas City by becoming a Freedom Rider 2015! Your donation of $800 will support one student for the six week summer enrichment program! Any contribution is greatly appreciated! For more information on how you can become a Freedom Rider you may contact the Freedom School office at 816.483.3717 ext. 12.
LETTER FROM THE REV
- 7th - Open Enrollment for Saturday Reading Academy
- 26th - Mandatory Parent Orientation 10:00 am (2200 Olive Street, KCMO)
- 10th - First Day of Saturday Reading Academty (SRA)! PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A CHANGE FROM THE ORIGINAL OCT. 3RD START DATE!!
- 28th - NO SATURDAY ACADEMY (THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY OBSERVANCE)
- 12th - Last day of Fall Semester Saturday Reading Academy
Kansas City Freedom Schools Initiative
Freedom School is now accepting applications for the Fall Semester Saturday Reading Academy! Simply click on the Scholar Enrollment tab at the top of the page to enroll. THE FIRST DAY OF THE SRA WILL BE OCTOBER 10TH!
Check out our Indiegogo page - just follow the link below: _______________________________________________________
- Literacy as a Lifeline Reading is at the heart of the Freedom School curriculum. During the summer session, many students fall in love with books for the first time.
- Multigenerational Mentoring Freedom School scholars ages 5-17 are taught by college-age interns who want to improve the lives of children while enriching their own life experience. Each intern completes rigorous traning at the Children’s Defense Fund conference facility on the Alex Haley Farm in Clinton, Tennesse, and at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. Interns from around the nation have the opportunity to study the Freedom School model together.
- Highlighting Cultural Awareness Cultural history and heritage are emphasized through the use of an Integrated Reading Curriculum that introduces students to a rich collection of culturally diverse literature. Activities and field trips also explore a variety of cultures.
- Parenting as Learning Partners Freedom Schools recognize parents as important partners in educating their children. Parents are expected to participate in school activities and attend weekly workshops to learn more about successful parenting, setting and achieving family goals, and becoming advocates for children’s education.
Servant Leader Internship
- be between 19 and 30 years old
- have at least one year of college experience
- have a cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher
All servant leader interns receive a monetary stipend for their service and dedication.
- youth leadership development,
- social action,
- civic engagement, and
- youth empowerment.
Missouri Pre-K Common Core Standards
For more information, please visit the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.